Thursday, August 7, 2008

There's Something About August.......

.......That brings visits to the ER. August '05 - Round Rock ER, Noah fell on our tile step, hit his hemangioma on his cheek and split it open. August '07 - Logan's Birthday. Noah bumped into mommy while holding a bowling ball. He fell on the ball and split his chin. Seton NW ER - 5 stitches in his chin:

August 6, 2008 - The culprit: the dishwasher door. The victim: Noah's eye. My foot was involved too. We had just finished dinner, Matt left for church for Worship Team rehearsal, I was getting ready to do the dishes, and Noah and Logan were playing basketball in the living room. Noah was practicing slam dunks, and wanted to do a super duper dunk....with a running start. The plan: to start at the pantry door, run through the kitchen, around the corner into the living room, and slam dunk! On his was to the pantry door, running at full speed, rounding the corner, he caught the heel of my foot (just barely), and flew through the air, right into the open dishwasher door. I'll never forget the sound of him hitting. He immediately grabbed his face and started to cry. I could only imagine what I would find when I turned him over. The first words out of his mouth, "Mommy, you hurt me." All fear and panic set in, what to do. I carried him to the couch with a paper towel to stop the bleeding. We tried to put the spiderman icepack on it, but that wasn't working. I called Ryan, the ER doc. Do we go? Do we not. Then I tried to call Matt. Dial the cell phone. It's ringing......upstairs in our bedroom. Ugh. So I started to call anyone that I knew that would also be at the rehearsal, got ahold of Matt, and told him I was taking Noah to the ER. He didn't want to go, he only wanted to play. By the time I gathered up everything and everybody, got us all strapped into the car, and got to the ER, Matt was already there! The result: 2 stitches in his eyebrow, some superglue on the cut below his eye, and a little black and blue all around.

When he got home.

The next morning.

A big thank you to all who answered my phone calls, relayed messages, and offered to help. Thank you Jen, Elias, and Elaina for showing up at the waiting room to entertain Logan. The entire time we were in the ER room, Noah wanted to go back out and play with them. And thank you God for protecting my little boy from anything more serious. When I told Noah that I didn't mean to get in his way ("You forgot to move, mom") he said, "That's OK mom. I love you." I have one brave, strong, and super-fast, super hero.

No comments: